September 5, 2012

The Last of the Elms

Although we lost most of the Elms on our property in the 1980's (from what I have been told) from Dutch Elm Disease, there are still a few remaining trees that survived the onslaught a few decades ago. 

Unfortunately, the dry, hot summer of 2012 has taken one more of our few remaining Elms.  On the right side of 6 right at the dogleg, one that was stuggling a little bit last year finally bit the dust this summer. 

According to my count, that leaves only 2 remaining Elm trees on the golf course.  I haven't looked too closely in the coulee banks, so I assume there may be a few left in there, but actually in the turf area of the golf course there are only 2 left:  one on the right side of 6 right by the one that just died, and one more on the left side of 11 right at the dogleg (if anyone knows of any that I am missing please let me know).  Please take the time to enjoy these last two survivors when you are playing the course this fall, who knows how much longer they may or may not be with us....


Another one bites the dust...

One of the last two elm trees on the left of 11

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Sam! I've heard lots of great things about the job you have done. Hoping for another floodless Spring for you.

    ReplyDelete